UTEL [ History of English | English Composition | Literary Authors | Literary Works | Literary Criticism ]
English Department Sites [ Main Office | Graduate Studies | Graduate English Association ]

UTEL

George Eliot
(1819-1880)


On this page...
Works | Bio-Bibliographical Note | Acknowledgements | Usage

George Eliot's Works

  • Adam Bede
  • Amos Barton
  • Middlemarch
  • The Mill on the Floss
  • Literary Criticism about George Eliot

  • George Eliot (1902), by Leslie Stephen

  • A Bio-bibliographical note about George Eliot

    "George Eliot, the pen name of Mary Ann (Marian) Evans was born in 1819 near Nuneaton in Warwickshire, the youngest daughter of Robert Evans, a respected land agent.

    "After the death of her mother in 1836, Marian became her father's housekeeper. Her talent for languages resulted in a commission to translate Strauss's Life of Jesus, the only publication to bear her real name. This in turn led to her meeting the publisher John Chapman who, when he purchased the Westminster Review in 1851, made her his managing editor.

    "After her father's death in 1849 she moved to London, lodging at Chapman's house. Here she met the versatile man of letters G. H. Lewes. Growing closer to Lewes, she set up home with him in 1854 (marriage being out of the question as he already had a wife). It proved to be a loving union which lasted until Lewes's death in 1878.

    "Her first collection of stories appeared in 1858. Collected as Scenes of Clerical Life they were published under her pen name of George Eliot. She was immediately recognized as a writer of significant talent and followed this success with Adam Bede (1859), The Mill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), Romona (1863), Felix Holt; The Radical (1867), Middlemarch (1872) and Daniel Deronda (1876).

    "George Eliot has been highly praised by Virginia Woolf and also by F. R. Leavis who thought her `not as transcendently great as Tolstoy, but [she is] great, and great in the same way'."

    Source: Penguin Web Site (http://www.futurenet.co.uk/Penguin/Authors/201.html). Accessed 6 December 1996.


    Credits and Acknowledgements

    This is a project of the Department of English and the Faculty of Arts and Science, funded by the Provost's Electronic Courseware Fund. The University of Toronto English Library was created by Ian Lancashire, Christopher Douglas, and Dennis G. Jerz. We wish to thank the University of Toronto Information Commons, and the members of the Centre for Academic Technology, especially John Bradley, Ian Graham, and Allen Forsyth. See individual Works pages for other credits.

    The author portrait is a chalk drawing done by Samuel Laurence. (Source: Elizabeth Deeds Ermarth. George Eliot. Boston: Twayne, 1985. Page vi. PR 4688 E76 1985 ROBA.)


    Usage

    Permission is hereby given to copy the HTML version of poems, plays and novels in the University of Toronto English Library for non-commercial educational uses; that is, for teaching, research, and study, as long as copyright information is not removed from any University of Toronto English Library On-line file and as long as no charge is made for use of the collection.