UTEL [ History of English | English Composition | Literary Authors | Literary Works | Literary Criticism ]
English Department Sites [ Main Office | Graduate Studies | Graduate English Association ]

UTEL

Charlotte Brontë
(1816-1855)


On this page...
Works | Bio-Bibliographical Note | Acknowledgements | Usage

Charlotte Brontë's Works

  • Jane Eyre (1846)

  • A Bio-bibliographical note about Charlotte Brontë

    "Born in Thornton, Yorkshire in 1816, Charlotte Brontë was the third daughter of Patrick Brontë, a clergyman of Irish descent, and Maria Branwell of Penzance, Cornwall. They moved to Haworth in 1820 when Patrick Brontë was made perpetual curate. After the death of Charlotte's mother in 1821, her mother's sister, Elizabeth, came to look after the family, and the children, five daughters and one son, were left with a solitary father, a disciplinarian aunt and only each other for company.

    "In 1824, the four eldest girls were sent to Cowan Bridge School which Charlotte recreated as Lowood in Jane Eyre. Its poor conditions hastened the deaths of Maria and Elizabeth (who died from tuberculosis in the same year) and damaged Charlotte's health permanently.

    "The time Charlotte spent at her second school, Roehead, between Leeds and Huddersfield, was far happier. She later returned as a teacher but gave up the post to set up her own school at Haworth with Emily. To acquire further qualifications the two sisters visited the Pensionnat H‰ger in Brussels where Charlotte fell hopelessly in love with M. H‰ger, later satirized in Villette. Her first novel, The Professor, was rejected, but she went on to write Jane Eyre, which is her true claim to greatness.

    "Charlotte refused three offers of marriage but in 1854 she consented to marry her father's curate, A. B. Nicholls. The marriage, however, was short-lived for the following year Charlotte died from an illness associated with pregnancy."

    Source: Penguin Web Site (http://www.futurenet.co.uk/Penguin/Authors/71.html). Accessed 6 December 1996.


    Credits and Acknowledgements

    This is a project of the Department of English and the Faculty of Arts and Science, funded by the Provost's Electronic Courseware Fund. The University of Toronto English Library was created by Ian Lancashire, Christopher Douglas, and Dennis G. Jerz. We wish to thank the University of Toronto Information Commons, and the members of the Centre for Academic Technology, especially John Bradley, Ian Graham, and Allen Forsyth. See individual Works pages for other credits.

    The author portrait was drawn by George Richmond in 1850. (Source: Tessa Brodetsky. Elizabeth Gaskell. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1986. Page 68. PR 4711 B76 1986 ROBA.)


    Usage

    Permission is hereby given to copy the HTML version of poems, plays and novels in the University of Toronto English Library for non-commercial educational uses; that is, for teaching, research, and study, as long as copyright information is not removed from any University of Toronto English Library On-line file and as long as no charge is made for use of the collection.