VIRTUAL TOUR:  THOMAS FISHER RARE BOOK LIBRARY
 ABOUT THE LIBRARY  COLLECTIONS  DIGITAL COLLECTIONS  EXHIBITIONS  PUBLICATIONS  KENNY PRIZE  THOMAS FISHER RARE BOOK LIBRARY HOME

Exterior views

Exhibition area

Mezzanines

Reading Room

Conservation

Events

 Rotating Images of the Library including views of the exterior, the exhibition area, the mezzanine and stacks, the reading room and the conservation area.

The Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library houses the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections including books, manuscripts and other materials; and the University of Toronto Archives and Records Management Services (UTARMS), which holds the official records of the University. The present building was opened in 1973. It is named in honour of Thomas Fisher (1792-1874), who came from Yorkshire to Upper Canada in 1821 and settled by the Humber River. There he operated a grist mill, and played an active role in the public life of the community. In 1973 his great- grandsons, Sidney and Charles Fisher, donated to the Library their own collections of Shakespeare, various twentieth century authors, and the etchings of the seventeenth century Bohemian artist, Wenceslaus Hollar.

About the Library | Collections | Digital Collections | Exhibitions | Publications | Kenny Prize | Fisher Home

Site Map | FAQ | Ask a Librarian | Search | Virtual Tour | Gifts, Friends of the Library | Send a Postcard

University of Toronto Library Catalogue | University of Toronto Homepage

Your comments and questions are welcomed.
All contents copyright ©, University of Toronto Libraries, 2004.

 
 *  Fisher Home  Site Map  FAQ  Ask a Librarian  Virtual Tour  Images from the Collection